1. Outlander is a well-known book. Before you cracked it open, what were your expectations or assumptions about this story? Or did you jump into it with a blank slate?
All I knew was that it combined historical fiction, time travel, and romance. My Goodreads friends either loved it or hated it, so I wanted to read it myself and form my own opinion.
2. Claire's husband, Frank, is fascinated with learning more and more facts about his family tree, which extends back pretty far. Do you or anyone in your family keep a family tree? How many years/generations back does it go? If not, have you ever considered or attempted to create one?
Personally, I haven't kept a family tree, but one of my uncles has traced our family tree back several generations (on my mom's side). It's fun to know which area our family came from before coming to America (Bath, England). I'd love to know more about my family's history on my dad's side.
3. How did you find Claire's initial conclusions as to her surroundings after waking up from going through the stones? Did you think that was a reasonable conclusion?
I think it was reasonable for her to conclude that she was in the middle of some sort of historical reenactment or movie set. I would have probably thought the same thing!
4. How about her composed, rational way of dealing with the fact she's traveled back in time. Did you find it believable? Do you think you would have acted the same way?
I think her reaction is believable for her character and her approach to life. I, on the other hand, would completely freak out!
5. At this point in the story, what are your feelings or expectations on Claire and Jamie? Is Frank still a factor for you?
Hmm, Frank is still in the back of my mind because at this point, I'm wondering if she is stuck in the past forever or if she will be able to get back to modern time. I know just from reading others' reviews that Claire and Jamie get together in the future, though.
Bonus Question: Frank encounters a man outside of the inn where he and Claire are staying. He is afraid it might have been a ghost. What do you believe it was? Do you have any predictions or suspicions on what that was about?
At first, I was thinking that it was Randall. Now I'm wondering if it was Jamie...